About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ginger Chutney By Nirupama Sundar

        Ginger_Chutney_(Allam_Chutney)

Ever since I announced the "Chutney/Dip Mania" Event , I have been receiving tremendous response from everyone!!! One of my readers, Nirupama Sundar, sent across this flavorful and healthy  ginger chutney recipe as an entry to the event. She even sent across a picture with the recipe.... Thanx so much, Nirupama!! :) This is a great entry! Since she does not maintain a blog, I am posting this entry on her behalf. Here goes the recipe, in her own words...

Ingredients:

Chopped Ginger  1 table spoon
Dried Red Chilies (Bedagi) 5 Nos
Curry Leaves        1 Tea Spoon
Broken Urad Dal   2 Tea Spoons
Jeera                   1 Tea Spoon
Tamarind              1 small lemon sized
Jaggery                1 Table Spoon
Oil                       2 Tea Spoons
Salt to taste

Method:

1. Heat Oil in a Kadai.
2. Fry the Red Chillies and keep them aside.
3. Roast Urad Dal and Jeera and keep them aside. 
4. In the remaining oil saute the ginger pieces and curry leaves for 2 to 3 mins.
5. In a blender (mixie) add all the above ingredients alongwith Tamarind, Jaggery and Salt (to taste)
6. Grind it to a smooth paste

Tadka
Mustard - 1/2 Teaspoon
Broken Urad Dal - 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves - Few
Oil - 1 Teaspoon
Make the Tadka with the above ingredients and the chutney is ready to serve.

This is a typical Andhra dish but the Bedagi Chilies are not so hot.  Therefore it gives a bright red color to the chutney. You could even use 1/2 tsp of paprika  for the color.

Reminder:

Just a week left for the Chutney/Dip Mania Event....... Rush in your entries!!!! :))

 

                                                   

19 comments:

Dori said...

Yum, I can't wait to see the roundup!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I have never made ginger chutney .. should taste great with steamed rice

Unknown said...

We usually add little bit ginger in coconut chutney. Never made chutney only with ginger, look delicious. Thanks for the Recipe Nirupama.

Raks said...

Sounds new to me! Thanks to your Reader Nirupama!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

i used a ginger in normal green chutney..this is diff and nice

Finla said...

Beautiful and delicious chutney.

FH said...

So unique, yummy chutney. I can't wait for this round up, so many in one place for me! :))

Kannada Cuisine said...

Wow Ginger chutney!Aha! I can almost smell it

Usha said...

Ginger chutney sounds really flavorful and yum...thanks Nirupama for sharing your recipe...looking forward to the roundup Ramya :-)

DK said...

Now thats new! Never tried Ginger chutney! Gawd! you have an event going on! lemme see if I can rush something :)

Paru ... said...

If I need a chutney recipe, I know where to come now:)..Ginger chutney sounds inviting..

Anonymous said...

ಸಕ್ಕತ್ ಕೆಲ್ಸ ರೀ, ತುಂಬಾ ಚೆನ್ನಾಗಿ ಮಾಡ್ತಾ ಇದೀರಾ! ಒಳ್ಳೆ ಕೆಲ್ಸ! ಸಹಾಯ ಬೇಕಿದ್ರೆ ಕೇಳ್ರೀ. ಈಗಾಗ್ಲೆ ನಮ್ ಹೆಂಡ್ತಿ ಇದ್ರ್ fan :)

ಗಿರಿಶ

Anonymous said...

I make ginger chutney too, so glad to see it here. It's an excellent digestive when eaten with hot rice and just a few drops of ghee! yummy!

Suganya said...

Chutney looks so good. Nice recipe. YUM! YUM!

Lakshmi said...

I was just checking the closing date for the event as I wanted to post Mango Chutney :) Ginger Chutney looks great....though I have never thought of making chutney with ginger as main ingredient, looks like it is time to try it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramya,

I make ginger chutney, but this seems to be a new version. Would definitely try this out:-)

Loved browsing thru foood blog. Let me introduce myself. Am Anu, a novice blogger from MyScrawls.

Do visit my blog (Anu's Kitchen) when u get time. Would be happy to receive your comments :-)

A_and_N said...

I love ginger chutney. Dose jotege, its perfect!

Cynthia said...

I've bookmarked this and like Meeso, I can't wait to see this round-up!

vidhas said...

Ginger chutney is nice. Collect your award from my blog.